If you are spending a lot on your energy bills, then it is possible that you have not insulated your garage door yet. Insulating the garage door will reduce energy bills and reduce the noise that finds a way into your house. Insulating the garage door is a DIY project, and we have listed the steps involved in the project below. Go ahead and check them out now.
Go through the list of tools & materials that you would require for this project.
- Safety Glasses & Gloves
- Tape Measure & Knives
- Fiberglass Insulation
- Garage Door Seals
- Foam Board Insulation
- Composite Fastener
- Insulation Accessories & Adhesives
Steps for Insulating the Garage Door
- Purchasing the Insulation kit – Start by choosing the right insulation material. Check the thickness, weight, and R-value of the insulation material. The higher the R-value, the better the insulation would be. If you have a wooden door, then you would also need a foam board. Similarly, You can insulate the metal garage door with fiberglass insulation. Make a choice depending on your needs. Find out some of the best Insulation kit by clicking here.
- Markings & Measurements – Now, start marking the location of the fasteners. Ensure that they are parallel to each other. You should have the fasteners separated by a distance of 12 inches from the sides of each panel. You must also measure the panels’ size so that you can cut the insulation in the exact dimensions.
- Apply Adhesive tape – Now, use the industrial-grade double sided tape and apply it to the markings you made. Ensure that the tape’s size is optimal as the smaller size would not hold the material very well. You should also ensure that the surface was clean before applying the adhesive tape. Press it with force to get a perfect bond. In this step, you need to remove the peel from the adhesive tape and you need to attach the retainer clip to each marking. This will help you connect the retainer clip on the garage door panel, and it is a required step for securing the insulation material.
- Measure the Door panel & Cutting Insulation Material– You have the insulation measurements that you took in the previous step. Verify those measurements and start cutting the insulation material in the given size. It is essential to measure the panels differently as these panels may be of different sizes. The insulation material should be at least 1 inch longer than the panel size. Remember to wear safety glasses, gloves, and a respiratory mask if you are dealing with fiberglass.
- Tucking the Insulation Panel – In this step, you need to tuck the insulation pieces in the door panels. Ensure that the vinyl is facing the outside. If the insulation has a reflective radiant barrier, then the radiant barrier should be outside.
- Fastening the Clips – In this last step, push the insulation against the door and allow the retention clip to pass through the insulation. Now, attach the front piece of retention clip to the pack piece, which will secure the insulation material.
This was the complete process to insulate the garage door. You can buy the insulation kits that come with all the required material that you would need to insulate your garage door. If you face any difficulty, you can write to us, and we will get back to you with the answer to your questions.