If you are about to replace a broken garage door spring, you can charged a lot to replace a simple garage door spring. You can do this job yourself and save a lot of money. The door tension spring provides the lifting force, and they need replacement after a specific time. You should note that this is a whole day project, and it requires a set of tools. Below are more details of this procedure. Learn more about Garage Door Springs in this post.
- Adjustable Wrench
- Gloves, Safety Glasses
- Socket Set
- Winding Bar
- Double Life Torsion Spring
- Bottom Bracket
- Lift Cables
Steps to Replace the Garage Door
- In the first step, you need to lock down the door, and you should clamp the door to the track. This step will help you in ensuring that the door doesn’t shoot up. You must also remove the garage door opener before you start the repair.
- Position the ladder near the spring but do not directly face the spring. Wear all the protection and shove the winding bar in the bottom hole of the spring’s winding cone. Loosen the screws and ensure that you are holding the winding bar tight.
- Now, you must use the second winding bar and unwind the broken spring. Do it slowly and take time so that you do not injure yourself. You can go ahead and remove the nuts from the stationary spring cones and then slowly slide the spring towards the end bracket.
- In this step, you can snap the locker plier on the center bracket so that you can hold the torsion tube in the bracket. You must also slide the torsion tube on the right side, which would help you remove the old spring.
- Look at the diameter of the spring and get the measurement of the spring. This will help you in buying the correct size spring if you haven’t already purchased it. You should also check the wind direction as this would help you in the proper installation. You should also take measurements of the inner diameter of the spring.
- You can find the replacement parts in a hardware store, or you can find them online. It isn’t easy to get it directly from the garage door companies.
- After getting the spring, you can install the left spring, and you can also reassemble the parts. You would need to reinsert the torsion bar in the bearing bracket. Also, install the right spring and push bearing into the stationary cone.
- You would need to reinstall the drum and connect the stationary cones to the center bracket. In this step, ensure that you have also replaced the bottom brackets along with the lift cables and rollers. This would reduce the chance of any malfunction soon.
- In the 9th step, you would have to thread the cable carefully. You would also need to anchor the cable in the right slot. Doing this step properly would avoid door jams.
- Tighten the drums after you have completed the steps listed above and ensure that you have made the tension equal on both sides. If the tension is not equal, then the door will not open evenly.
You have almost completed the project now. In this step, you need to wind the tension springs and follow the manufacturer’s recommendations. Ensure that you have stretched the spring and tightened the screws.
Now, lubricate the spring and all other moving parts. Try the door, and you should be done.
If you want a video tutorial on how to replace your garage door opener spring here is the one.